Edmonton Half Marathon.

I was extremely nervous for this race. I don’t know why we, as runners, get so nervous, as my mom says, it’s just putting one foot in front of the other. I had a goal… well actually about three of them. A given goal was to finish. The goal I told everyone was to finish under 1:45. The goal in my head was a PR. I ran the Hypothermic Half Marathon in February in 1:37:36. I wanted to beat that time. There should be an asterisk beside that time because that course was only 12.81 miles long according to my Garmin. False advertising. So I had another 0.4 miles to go… in less time. Talk about nervous. 

To save suspense I ran it in 1:37:44. I was really happy with my time. I would never in a million years believed I could run 13.1 miles (13.21 according to my Garmin) at an average pace of 7:24 min/mile. 

I felt good, full of nerves, but ready to run in the morning. I had a bagel with peanut butter and banana about an hour and a half before the race began. I think the first thing everyone does when they arrive at the race grounds is line up for the porta-potties. 

Fired up and ready to go. A little cold but that feeling disappeared about 1.3 minutes into the race.

I headed closer to the front of the pack while the others went closer to the back. I made sure my iPod was set to songs that would get me running hard right out of the gate, and that my Garmin was ready to go when I crossed the starting line. In the end, my Garmin and my chip time were almost exactly the same. 

I felt good for most of the race body-wise. I had major stabbing cramps for about three miles in various places in my stomach. That didn’t really slow me down but made it painful to run at my target pace. I had positive splits and probably started too fast but the first fast miles helped me get close to my goal with my later slower miles. 

Mile 1 @ 7:12 min. “Ah, here we go! Just keep going at this pace!”
Mile 2 @ 7:16 min. “Ok, I can do this, only 12 more!”
Mile 3 @ 7:16 min. “I think my pace quickens around the good looking police officers!”
Mile 4 @ 7:18 min. “Ouch, cramp, ouch, cramp…”
Mile 5 @ 7:14 min. “This isn’t bad… almost halfway!”
Mile 6 @ 7:25 min. “Where is the stupid turn-around point?”
Mile 7 @ 7:30 min. “Half way done… you’re slowing down!”
Mile 8 @ 7:32 min. “Hey look it’s mom and dad.”
Mile 9 @ 7:24 min. “This guy keeps speeding up whenever I get close to him, how will I pass him?”
Mile 10 @ 7:32 min. “My lungs hurt. My legs hurt.”
Mile 11 @ 7:29 min. “Ok only about two more miles… home stretch.”
Mile 12 @ 7:42 min. “I should have drank some water.”
Mile 13 @ 7:26 min. “You GOT this. Run. Fast.”
Last 0.21 mile @ 7:08 min/mile. “Where is the finish?”

In the zone and watching to make sure I don’t trip over myself at the finish line. I had to focus on making sure I kept going… one foot in front of the other. My gun time was 1:38:03 and my chip time was 1:37:44. 

I am glad I did it, and I am glad it’s over! I forced the volunteers at the end to put the medal around my neck… bending down AND grabbing the medal was just too much effort at that point.

I kept my Garmin on the “pace” screen so I could monitor my pace the entire race. I changed it to the “distance” screen once and saw I had 1.5 miles left and about 11 minutes to make my goal. I quickly changed it back to the pace screen because that scared me.

I think I would have run a bit slower without my Garmin. When I looked down a couple times and saw 7:50 min/mile I bumped it up and chased the good-looking guys ahead of me. My aunt was waiting for me at the end and then we grabbed my jacket, flip-flops, and sunglasses from the car so I could change out of my sweaty runners. About an hour later my parents came through – holding hands which made me smile wider than my face. They walked the half marathon and finished in 2:41:43. 

My cousin, Kyla, came through and finished her FIRST half marathon in 3:17:09! Way to go!

I think we win the award for “Most Runner’s Food Taken at the End of the Race.” We certainly wanted to get our money’s worth in free food… and we were hungry.

The results were posted as soon as they came in. According to the online results, my chip time was 1:37:44, which put me 8th in my category (Female 20-29) and 21st woman (of 1070!) in the half marathon. I placed 103rd overall out of 1814 participants.

Hydrating, refuelling, popping some ibuprofen, and taking plenty of photos post-race. 

I love showering after a long run. I could literally feel the salt on my body before I showered. Gross. I actually managed to put jeans on after my shower, not spandex, where did that come from? We proudly wore our race T-shirts after we showered. I plan on wearing my medal to work tomorrow.

A lot of sitting happened in the afternoon. I don’t think the sitting was a choice… more like mandatory. I didn’t actually feel too bad after, my legs aren’t very sore and only a little chaffing occurred. My training schedule prepared me well. 

I thought my day couldn’t get any better once I was done my race. Then I checked my email on my phone while waiting for my parents and cousin to finish. I almost died. Guess who emailed me? My blogging/running/life idol. Janae from Hungry Runner Girl blog. I have been following her blog for a while and she is one of the reasons I started my own blog. 

All in all, between racing the half marathon, my results, watching and cheering as my family finished the race, getting an email from Janae, and eating all the calories I burned today back in dark chocolate covered almonds, it was a fantastic day!


  1. LOVE the blog…..have I mentioned that lately?? You did an awesome job and you were well trained and ready. I can’t wait to hear about your next run…no stress right?!?

  2. Awesome blog, Kris! Congrats on the half marathon. Love the pics. The picture of you about to cross the line and the one of your parents holding hands almost made me cry. Too wonderful for words. Way to go!!!!
    BTW…tell your dad that I think the little blue shirt may not fit…just sayin’.

Comments are closed.