I’m paying someone to tell me to stretch.

My mom and I attended our first “Yoga for Athletes” class last night. It should have been called “Foam Rolling Hurts.” I walked into the studio expecting a bunch of elite athletes and instead found a room of middle age people who definitely didn’t look like they were in marathon training. I was instantly less intimidated but it turns out I was still less flexible than 95% of the class (the other 5% being my mom ;).

It was a lot different than I expected. There was a lot less yoga and a lot more athletic stretching. We used the foam roller for most of the class and it was TORTURE. I think every single one of my muscles was tight. “Good” torture, I mean. I showed up with hot pink socks on… pretty classy.


I learned a lot of moves with the foam roller and I plan on using these after my runs A LOT MORE than I have been (which is zero minutes per day). It was an hour and 15 minute class with the last half hour being more stretching and yoga poses. It was a pretty good class and I am excited to attend every Monday! I am now literally paying someone to tell me to stretch. 


I went back to school today. It was awful as predicted.

However, I started my day with a familiar breakfast that filled me up and got me ready for some learning. I could eat this every day… oh wait… I do.

After school I hit up the treadmill for a fabulous interval run… and then a wicked spin class. In making an effort to get more quality, fast-paced miles in, I set out with a running workout in mind and though I was tired when I stepped on the treadmill, I stepped off full of energy and super proud of my run. It ended up being 5.0 miles in 39:18. 

1-2-3 Interval Run

5 minute warm-up (8:34 min/mile)

1 minute @ 6:58 min/mile
1 minute recovery @ 10:00 min/mile
2 minutes @ 6:58 min/mile
1 minute recovery @ 10:00 min/mile
3 minutes @ 6:58 min/mile
1 minute recovery @ 10:00 min/mile

Repeat with intervals at 6:49 min/mile

Repeat with intervals at 6:58 min/mile

1 minute @ 6:40 min/mile
1 minute recovery @ 10:00 min/mile
2 minutes @ 6:40 min/mile
1 minute recovery @ 10:00 min/mile

3 minute cool-down (7:48 min/mile)

I. WAS. SWEATING. and it felt really good.

Today’s running tip was about cross training. Perfect timing for this tip because tonight I attended my first “Advanced Spin Cyclone” class! Spin is definitely my favourite form of cross training! I’ll post about that class tomorrow!