In case you didn’t gather this from my latest posts, I am not a huge fan of taking rest days. I love to be active as much as I can so it is hard for me to take it easy and take a full day off from working out. That, and there are plenty of hot guys who work and work out at the gym and I kind of look forward to
showing off for chatting with them every day 😉
Despite my reluctance to take an actual rest day, I knew it was time, and the fact that my marathon training schedule started with a rest/cross training day was perfect. I might as well embrace a day with zero exercise before a long and exciting 16 weeks of training!
Every single running book or magazine article talks about the benefits of rest days, I just choose to ignore them most of the time. When I really think hard though about why our bodies need rest, I feel a little guilty about constantly pushing mine. Imagine that every day you workout, you tear your muscle fibres a little bit, and you put stress on your bones and joints. A rest day helps the muscles rebuild and become even stronger than they were before. Avoiding rest days means that the muscle fibres don’t get a chance to rebuild and your chance of injury goes way up. Hmm… Sounds like the thousands of experts preaching about rest days were onto something.
I made plenty of delicious food and drank 31895 cups of tea yesterday. I spent most of the day studying and doing homework so I had a constant stream of chai, passion, and cinnamon orange tea to keep me going. A rest day is the perfect time to rehydrate!
Things to do on a rest day instead of exercise: EAT. and DRINK.
In the evening my mom and I had our “Yoga for Athletes” class. We headed to our gym, got there a bit early, and I managed to convince her to walk a couple of laps around the track with me. She made sure to keep both eyes on me so that I wouldn’t start running or join in on the spin class that was happening when we got there. I was very proud of myself… the entire time, the treadmills were calling my name, and I didn’t even set foot on one 😉 After our brief walk we headed to an hour and fifteen minutes of muscle torture… FOAM ROLLING.
Things to do on a rest day instead of exercise: STRETCH AND FOAM ROLL.
It was a struggle to enjoy my day with no exercise but I know that sometimes, rest is better for my body than any workout would be. A few of the other things I did to NOT think about the fact that I had all day to workout but needed to take a rest day:
- Read a book – maybe read something about why rest days are good for you… it will help put things into perspective when you understand that running for your entire lifetime means pacing your body for your entire lifetime!
- Work – I spent a lot of time studying and catching up on school work… you know, the things I procrastinate when I go to the gym!
- Watch your favourite show – New Girl has me hooked right now!
- Email or write to someone – Valentines Day is just around the corner so I spent sometime writing out V-Day cards!
- Clean your bathroom – HAHA, just kidding, that’s even worse than rest day.
- Meal Prep – bake some muffins, slice up some vegetables, create your own trail mix, or just plan a few of your next meals!