Thanks Jen for posting this running questionnaire last week so I could totally steal it from you this week! I like getting to know more about people’s running habits, what they love, what they hate, what they’ve learned, and some of the runs they’ve done… so that is exactly what you’re going to get from me today!
1. Would you rather run along a beach or on a mountain trail?
I would rather run along a beach because I grew up in BC and would trade anything to go back and see the ocean again. Plus… mountains have inclines and make me work harder… beaches have sea level running! I’ll stick to hiking mountains and running along beaches.
2. If you could choose the flavour of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
I would say, “Ummm could I have Nuun instead please?” but because that’s probably breaking some kind of blog internet survey rule, I will answer the orange kind. I don’t really like any of them but I think that’s the one I like the best.
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
Running shoes. Can one really have too many pairs of running shoes?
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run?
I really love the structure of a training plan and it makes my workouts more intense when I don’t spend half of the time deciding what I’m going to do that day. On the other hand I love the freedom of doing whatever workout I want, so I make sure to leave my training plans with lots of cross training days and plenty of flexibility.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
I would rather start uphill, specifically during a race because it will help me not start out too fast and will give me a nice fast finish when it’s downhill at the end.
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross training do you choose to do?
Anything and everything! I love so many different activities and I tend to do A LOT of them. If I had to pick, cycling (both indoor and outdoor) and strength training are my favourites.
7. What is your preference – out and back, point to point, or loop runs?
This is a tough one! I like out and back just so I know where I am at all times and how far I have to go but I also don’t like seeing the same thing over and over so I tend to choose loop routes. I don’t know if I’ve ever done a point to point run. I have asked my parents to drop me off 16 miles from my house to do a long run but they said no.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner it would be…
Provided they have shoes that fit properly and are of good quality, I would recommend a GPS. I feel like my GPS watch with the HR monitor helped me take my running to a whole new level and I am kind of a stats geek so I love reviewing my runs, seeing progress, and tracking my latest workouts.
9. Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Rabbits. Deer. I haven’t seen anything super cool.
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Yeuuuup. Not in a severe way where I’ve had to call for a ride but I have had to check my GPS on my phone to get myself back in track. When I was training for my first half marathon, I started my run super early in the dark and I got SO lost and ran an extra couple of miles which put me over 13.1 so I knew for sure I could run that distance!
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would that meal be?
To be honest, I don’t handle big awesome meals like waffles or something RIGHT after a run, so if I could get a protein shake ready that would be awesome. Peanut butter chocolate please.
12. Capris or shorts… what do you run in most often?
Capris. I chafe in most shorts because of my sick leg muscles.
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
At about mile 2 (15-20 minutes into my run). I never judge a run by the first mile because that will likely not be how I feel by the end of my run!
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
I usually don’t have one with me because I run from home and I can go out the garage, but if I do I stick in my capri pocket. Occasionally I’ll tie it to my shoes or leave it on the tire of my car (don’t tell me dad I do that).
15. If you could relive any race that you’ve done in the past, which one would it be?
The Banff Half Marathon last year was one of the best race experiences because I ran it with my brother, who is three years younger than me and did so well, I was so proud of him! We pushed through the hills, heat, and exhaustion to finish the race together and it was a super special moment.
Now your turn!
What is one race you would relive?
Favourite post-run meal you wish you could have ready every day?
One piece of running equipment you would recommend for a newbie?