A day of recovery and errands.

On Sunday night after the Tour De L’Alberta (recap HERE) I turned off all alarms as I didn’t have to really be anywhere until later in the day on Monday. After the race I had showered, blogged so I wouldn’t forget anything that I was feeling or had happened, then headed to a  neighbourhood BBQ. By 8pm I was exhausted and because my parents and a few of my neighbours had also done the ride that day (the 50km and the 100km), it was an early night!

I SLEPT TEN HOURS. Then I laid in bed for another hour. YES. THAT HAPPENED.

By the time I rolled out of bed, I had decided to test out my legs and attempt my scheduled 4-miler. I wasn’t really “sore” anywhere but my entire body just felt tired so I wasn’t really expecting much out of my run. We did 4 miles at an 8:56 min/mile pace and then cooled down with a 1-mile walk.

recovery run

After the run it was practically noon so I made breakfast lunch brunch, relaxed and drank coffee, and then headed out to do some errands. I had a dream that my car ran out of gas and it reminded me that I need to fill my gas tank up… why is my subconscious so practical? When I attempted to get out of my vehicle to fill up my tank, I got stuck in my seatbelt. This happens far more often than it should. #longhairprobs

long hair problems

For lunch I was craving a big salad with lots of vegetables so I picked lots of fresh tomatoes from my dad’s tomato plants and made a salad with a tomato base. Avocado, cottage cheese, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and a sprinkle of black pepper, with a side of grilled zucchini. It was delicious and so fresh!


When you have a solid hour before you have to start work… you tell yourself you don’t actually have time to start anything “productive” and you do you hair instead. Well, at least that’s what I do. I haven’t braided my hair in a really long time so I added a teeny tiny braid and used it to hold my front pieces of hair back. So fancy.

long hair braid


I felt pretty good yesterday after six hours on the bike on Sunday. I was really tired and my knees kind of ached getting out of bed, most likely from being clipped into my bike for such a long time, but I felt good. I obviously needed the sleep because even after 10 hours I seriously felt like I needed more! Really makes me wonder how this guy just finished 50 Ironmans in 50 days in 50 states running on 4-5 hours of sleep a night?!

I didn’t do a strength workout yesterday because I figured my easy run would be a good recovery day. I’ll be back at the gym this morning for some upper body training!

How long after a race (or event) do you take to recover?

Do you ever race during training?


  1. That guy is crazy. Did he actually do it?! His story reminded me of Rich Roll’s Finding Ultra – have you read it? It’s a good one!

    Can I have some of your Dad’s tomatoes? I miss having a garden 🙁

  2. Ya know, if you were going to be home when we were there, I would have brought my clippers and could have helped you with that long hair problem! Just saying.

Comments are closed.