I was thinking about writing this over the last week as I pondered all of the things that guys NEVER have to deal with at the gym or working out. I’m sure there are things that boys have to deal with when they workout but let’s be serious, I’m sure the list isn’t even close to this one. Girls, I hope you can relate to this… boys, these are all of the struggles girls face when they hit up the gym or go for a run.
- Forgetting a sports bra for your workout. Yeah we packed our gym bags so we could lift weights or run after work but then we realize we forgot one CRUCIAL item… the sports bra. The debate ensures, to workout with an uncomfortable and unsupportive bra or skip the gym. (I have never chosen the skipped workout option.)
2. To follow up on that last point, choosing the right level of support in our sports bra for our workout. Running or anything jumping = HIGH support. Low impact cardio, like cycling, or weight lifting = MEDIUM support. Yoga or walking = LOW support.
3. The laundry. Oh, the laundry. I never really wear workout clothes twice so usually when I do laundry it is 80% workout clothes and 20% real clothes. Yeah, we look awesome at the gym… we also do a lot of laundry.
4. Planning long runs and races around our periods. Yeah, I’m sorry, TMI, but it happens. Guys just have no idea. Running for a few hours with that ish going on… ugh. Don’t even get me started on how the hormones involved in this nonsense cycle affect our quality of workout.
5. Not having a hair elastic… or having one and it breaks. Long hair and working out don’t mix well except for the fact that we look graceful AF when we run. I put my hair in a bun for most strength workouts so it doesn’t get in the way when I lift weights but when I run I keep my hair up in a ponytail. No elastic? No workout. (I see some girls that run with their long hair down and I will never understand this phenomena.)
6. Boob sweat. Now that you mention it, crotch sweat too. The worst.
7. I like to do squats and lots of step-ups but it always looks like I’m trying to show off my ASSets when I do that. I swear I’m not, even though I do talk about how proud I am of my lower body. We’ve all had ‘that look’ when people stare because they think we’re showing off, but we’re literally just working out.
8. Make-up. I don’t want to sound ridiculous but sometimes I put on a bit of coverup before heading to the gym first thing in the morning. You can judge girls for wearing make-up, you can wear some yourself, whatever the case, girls think about this before heading in. Plus the struggle of remembering to wash make-up off immediately after you sweat.
9. I somehow ended up being friends with far too many middle-age and slightly older than middle-age men from working out at 5:30am at the gym. I see them outside the gym and they come and chat and both my family/friends and their wives/children ask how we know each other… awkward. A lot of the men like to chat with me… I really don’t know if this works the other way around with older women and young men?
10. Getting stared at when you walk into the weight lifting section of the gym. No one bats an eye when I head to the elliptical for a warm-up at the gym but as soon as I walk into the lifting areas, I get super insecure because I feel like I don’t belong. Most guys are really welcoming (see #7) but when you are the minority in the weights section it is tough to hold your own.
There you have it. The struggles girls face when they head to the gym or for a run… shit gets complicated but if you think about how much we have to deal with and we still kick ass, that’s pretty impressive. 😉 Now let’s hear it boys, what do YOU have to deal with that girls will just not understand? Ladies, did I forget anything?